Here’s an easy and extremely helpful way to get everyone on the same page about the exact target of your radio station. This is something I’ve done at nearly every station I’ve programmed. I put this list together using actual research from Arbitron, The Media Audit, Scarborough, and local perceptual to come up with this list. I gave this list to everyone at the station. Here’s a sample of my “Target Listener.”
Board Target Demographic
Narrow Target Demographic. We must OWN this demo!
On Target Demographic. We must always use her as a filter.
33 Year Old Female
• Young family
• Employed Full Time
• Contemporary in fashion and trends
• Not afraid to go out in the city
• Very into family/friends, but loves weekend getaways with husband
• Drives a foreign car (only 23.7% of metro population own a domestic car)
• Gives of her time to charity. Volunteers
• Loves new movies and Hollywood gossip
• Reads People, OK!, Women’s Day, Glamour, Cosmo
• Loves to watch ET, Inside Edition, E! Entertainment Television, HGTV, Food Network.
• Loves to find TV shows the whole family can watch at the same time
• Wants to protect her children from off color humor
• Has a college education
• Median Household income is $52,000
• Didn’t listen to country music before the early 90’s. Loves Keith Urban, Miranda Lambert, Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Lady Antebellum, Sugarland, Brad Paisley
• She listens to the lyrics and knows their meanings
• Also listens to Hot A/C, A/C and CHR