Thursday, July 12, 2012

WHAT SCARED ME


I was in a neighborhood coffee shop the other day and noticed they had a local Denver radio station on. I thought cool, here's a trendy, hip coffee joint that isn't listening to Sirius/XM, Pandora or an IPOD.

Then I got a look at the radio. It was an old beat up, early 90's boom box that looked like it was on its last leg. Part of it was duct taped together, some knobs were missing and it had a wire hanger for the antenna.

This got me thinking. What happens when that radio dies? What will they do? With all the options available now, I had a hard time believing that they will run to Target or Best Buy and buy a new radio. Would they give up on listening to local radio and then go with an internet radio station?

I wonder how many other 1980's and 90's radios are out there and on their last leg. What happens then?

That scared me...a lot.

Radio needs to be more than just a music jukebox if we want to build enough listener loyalty that they go out and buy a new radio when the old one dies. The listener needs to love us that much and simply paying music won't do it. We need to build loyalty with personalities, one on one connection and community involvement.

We need to be more than just a music machine.

2 comments:

  1. Have a contest that gives out new radios with your logo on it - reward loyalty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking about this post, 'cause the little radio in my kitchen died about 6 weeks ago and I never got around to replacing it. I'm propping my phone up where it won't get wet, and listening to radio streams on it instead of a "real radio." I'm still listening to radio, but it's less Cleveland radio and more other stations around the country I like.

    ReplyDelete