Monday, November 7, 2011

WHAT BUGS ME


With the passing of Andy Rooney, I thought it was time for me to do "Ya Know What Bugs Me (in my best Andy Rooney voice)?"

So here goes. These are a few of the things that I hear on the radio that bug me.

1) SAYING "WWW"
If someone doesn't know that websites start with "WWW", then they aren't online and don't care about the website you are giving out.

2) CLICHES
There are a ton of them. "Hump Day", "Comin' Atcha", "Around the Corner", "Let's Go To The Phones", "Happy (day of the week) to you", and many more. Why do people on the radio feel the need to talk different than a regular person when they are on the air?

3) SELF SERVING JOCKS AND STATIONS
Jocks that run phoners from listeners saying how great they are, or how much they love listening to them. Edit that out.

Also, there are very few real "Legendary" or "World Famous" stations in the country. Those descriptions should be reserved for the true ones. There may have been more legendary stations 40 or 50 years ago, but not today. Listeners don't care. It's hype.

4) HEARING MORNING SHOW PROMOS ON FRIDAY
It's the start of my weekend. The last thing I want to think about is Monday morning. Have your morning show promo start on Saturday, not Friday afternoon.

5) RADIO THAT ISN'T ONE ON ONE
The best radio is one on one. Just YOU and ONE listener. Talk to just one person. Use "you" and "I", not "everybody", "folks", "our listeners" or "all you people."

6) JOCKS THAT HAVE BEEN "PPM'd."
I hear this a lot. Jocks that talk so fast and sound so rushed (because they only have a few seconds before the listener turns them off) that it's fatiguing to listen to. Let your show breathe. There's no need to sound like you are in a hurry to finish the break.

7) JOCKS THAT MAKE EVERYTHING ABOUT FACEBOOK
I get that Facebook is important and we need to be where our listeners are, but I hear jocks that talk about nothing more than their Facebook page. I would bet your AQH is much higher than the number of people that would ever friend you or check out your Facebook page. Even for national shows. Play to the masses and the biggest common denominator. That's your listener, not your Facebook Fans.

OK, I'm stepping off my soap box now.

I miss Andy Rooney.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Here are two more...

    1) Jocks that say "Um" and "Uhh" All the freakin' time! You're a professional...teach yourself to not do that.

    2)Too many cooks in the kitchen. Morning show's that have more than two people. Not many people can pull this off and it's very hard to listen to. People trying to justify their paychecks by chiming in over the top of everyone else as much as possible.

    I miss Mickey Rooney too.

    ReplyDelete